CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

homeschooling

Friday, we went to the Verhey's for a relaxed homeschool afternoon. We are taking a cultural tour of Africa. Earlier in the week we had studied Northern Africa. We had looked at Egypt and what life might be like there. Freckles found a recipe for an Egyptian desert with honey and breadcrumbs. We decided it tasted a little like pecan pie filling. We moved to Kenya next and took a virtual Safari. We worked with topographical maps and learned some swahili. We went west and just started Western Africa. Hoping Steph will tell us some about her stay in Cameroon over Christmas. We have loved drumming and carrying baskets on our head.

I have been really debating how much we want to look at Africa's sometimes tragic and volatile culture. I am unsure how I want to look at famine and genocide to my naive and tenderhearted 11-year old. Friday we are looking at Rwanda. Been praying that God will continue to develop a love and tenderness for people and that I will be able to give am honest but not overwhelming picture of our world.

2 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...

You are the best teacher EVER!!! Such hard material too - God will equip you!

stephrudolph said...

I would love to share my memories of Cameroon with you guys over the holidays. You are in a tough position, because you are right - there are some very hard topics to cover when learning/teaching the continent. Hopefully the endurance and perseverance of the people as a whole will help show the beauty that all of the African countries have to offer.